‘RED SQUIRRELS THROUGH THE SEASONS’
The Red Squirrel Survival Trust’s annual photographic competition is now open for entries.
The Red Squirrel Survival Trust (RSST), which supports and delivers the conservation of the native Red Squirrel, is looking for beautiful images that capture the iconic endangered species through the four seasons. Four winners will be selected from each of the Open categories (‘Spring’, ‘Summer’, ‘Autumn’ and ‘Winter’) along with an overall winner. This year sees the addition of a sixth category for young photographers aged 18 and under.
Mark Henderson of RSST said: “We are again delighted to be launching this competition. The last couple of years have attracted more than 250 images each year contributing to the ever increasing library that we share through our website and social media. We see so many incredible images from the talented Red Squirrel community across many social media platforms and we’re really looking forward to this year’s entries.”
“We continue to partner with the Royal Photographic Society Nature Group, whose code of ethical practice promotes the highest standards in wild life photography. Images of red squirrels play an important part in raising public awareness of their plight in the UK but it is vital that these images are created responsibly.”
Details of this year’s competition:
- Closing date: 12 Noon on 31 January 2023.
- Prize: £50 will be awarded to the winners of each of the four Open categories, selected by a judging panel. The winner of the 18 and Under category will also receive £50.00. An Overall Winner will receive an additional £50.00 and their winning image will be used for next year’s jigsaw puzzle.
- Entrants for the four Open categories can submit up to three photographs in total, either for a single category or across any of the four categories (‘Spring’, ‘Summer’, ‘Autumn’ and ‘Winter’).
- Entrants for the 18 and Under category can submit up to two photographs in total.
- All entrants must follow the The Nature Photographers’ Code of Practice as set out by The Royal Photographic Society’s Nature Group (see https://rps.org/media/1xcnsuga/the-nature-photographers-code-of-practice.pdf).
- The images can be in colour or black and white.
- Entrants must not be professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their photographs. Full terms and conditions can be found on RSST’s website, at: https://www.rsst.org.uk/
- Entrants under the age of 18 need the verifiable consent of a parent or guardian to enter.
- Submissions: Photos can be submitted via email/WeTransfer to email@example.com from 30 November 2022.
RSST works to protect existing populations of native red squirrels through campaigns to raise awareness, by donating to local projects, and by raising funds for vital research into practical grey squirrel management. Officially categorised as an endangered species, there is still much work to be done to ensure their presence in our world for generations to come.